CHIMNEY FIRE PREVENTION is your job!
Chimneys are one of the most common locations of residential structure fires in New York State. The Chimney Safety Institute of America reports that creosote accumulation is the leading cause of chimney fires. A chimney that is dirty, blocked or is in disrepair can inhibit proper venting of smoke up the flue and can also cause a chimney fire. Nearly all residential fires originating in the chimney are preventable. An annual chimney inspection by a qualified chimney sweep can prevent fire or carbon monoxide poisoning. To keep your home safe from chimney fires follow these guidelines:
Maintenance – Good maintenance is a very important step in preventing chimney fires!
- Have your chimney checked every year by a qualified chimney professional.
- Burn only well seasoned hardwoods.
- Install a chimney cap.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector.
- Have your chimney sweep ensure that your chimney has an appropriate liner.
- Following a violent storm, earthquake, flood or lightening strike, have your chimney inspected for damage – inside and out.